- Fellowship: University of California, San Francisco — 2015
- Residency: University of California, San Francisco — 2014
- Post Doc: University of California, San Francisco — 2014
- Internship: St. Mary's Medical Center (San Francisco, CA) — 2010
- Medical School: University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign — 2009
- Graduate: University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign — 2006
- Undergraduate: Dartmouth College — 2001
Dr. Yu is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Radiology (Neuroradiology) and by courtesy, an Assistant Professor in the Departments of Psychiatry and Biomedical Engineering. Dr. Yu joined the department in August 2015 after completing a Diagnostic Neuroradiology Fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco. Dr. Yu received his medical degree from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, where he also completed a PhD in Biophysics and Computational Biology. Dr. Yu currently leads a systems neuroscience laboratory housed in the Wisconsin Institutes for Medial Research at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. His laboratory is currently aligned along three major thematic and interrelated areas of interest: (1) examining the impact of genes, the environment, and gene-environment interactions on quantitative brain microstructure in neurocognitive and neuropsychiatric illness; (2) biological validation and clinical translation of methodological innovations in diffusion weighted MRI for accurate diagnosis and tracking therapeutic outcomes in patient care, clinical trials, and patient-oriented research; and (3) development of MR and PET neuroimaging methods for the sensitive detection and characterization of microglial-driven neuroinflammation and synaptic loss in neurologic and psychiatric disease.