- Undergraduate: Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD)
- Medical School: Stanford University School of Medicine (Stanford, CA)
- University of Chicago Hospital & Clinics (Chicago, IL)
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital (Chicago, IL)
- Emory University School of Medicine (Atlanta, GA)
- Vascular Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine (Stanford, CA)
- Angio-Interventional Radiology, Emory University School of Medicine (Atlanta, GA)
Dr. Brunner trained as a general and vascular surgeon prior to further training as a diagnostic and interventional radiologist. He has practiced in both academic and private practice settings, served as the president of the Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR), where he still leads their Data Assessment Workgroup for comparative effectiveness research, chaired the board of the World Conference on Interventional Oncology (WCIO), and currently chairs the Radiology Section Council at the AMA. He is a member of the SIR Foundation clinical research trial committee and a member of a national Stakeholders Committee on Patient-centered Outcomes for durable treatment of fibroids. Dr. Brunner has been a Chicago Magazine/Castle Connolly Top Doctor for several years running.