Fred T. Lee Jr, MD
Fred T. Lee Jr, MD is a Professor of Radiology, Biomedical Engineering, and Urology, The Robert A. Turrel Professor of Imaging Science, and the Chief of Abdominal Intervention at the University of Wisconsin. He previously served as the Chief of Abdominal Imaging and Intervention, Chief of Oncologic Imaging, and Senior Vice Chair at the University of Wisconsin Department of Radiology. He received his bachelor of arts magna cum laude and medical degrees from the Six-Year Medical Program at Boston University, completed an internship in surgery at the University of Massachusetts, and received his radiology training at the University of Rochester, Rochester, NY. He has been a University of Wisconsin faculty member since 1991, and was designated as a Radiologic Society of North America Scholar in 1996.
While completing the requirements for the RSNA Scholars program, Dr. Lee developed an interest in minimally-invasive tumor ablation therapy, leading him to establish the Tumor Ablation Laboratory at the University of Wisconsin in 1995, one of the first of its type in the world. His work has resulted in over 200 scientific publications, hundreds of scientific and business presentations, 20 book chapters, 24 inventions/patents, and substantial federal and industrial grant support. He is the recipient of more than 50 major honors and awards including multiple "Best Doctor" awards, the UW Health Presidential Physician Leadership Award, and the Grand Prize in the 2014 Wisconsin Governor's Business Plan Competition. Dr. Lee is a founding member of the International Working Group on Tumor Ablation, and a founder of three venture-backed biotech start-up companies devoted to cancer treatment: Cellectar, Inc. (Madison, WI), NeuWave Medical Inc. (Madison, WI a member of the Ethicon and Johnson & Johnson family of companies), and Elucent Medical, Inc. (Minneapolis, MN). NeuWave Medical was sold to Ethicon (Johnson & Johnson) in May 2016, and Dr. Lee remains as a consultant. In addition to being a company founder, Dr. Lee currently serves on the board of directors and as Senior Medical Advisor for Histosonics, Inc., a University of Michigan startup company developing a non-invasive, non-thermal focused ultrasound technology for tissue destruction.
Active Research Projects
- Noninvasive Liver Ablation Using Focused Ultrasound Histotripsy (Funded: Ablation lab funds)
In the News
- Vol. 13 -- Where Are They Now?
- UW Tumor Ablation Lab Hard at Work
- UW Radiology Contributes To New Tumor Targeting Agents
- UW Radiology Start-Up Elucent Medical Wins WI Governor
- UW Radiologists dominate World Conference of Interventional Oncology
- Shave 2 Save: UW Radiologists lose hair for a good cause
- UW Radiology research chosen for RSNA press conference: video available
- Ten Lovell Scholarships Awarded
- UW Radiology lights up spring meetings
- Drs. Hinshaw, Shadid, & Lee cryoablation study selected for national press release
- Radiology Investigators Awarded $5.6M in NIH grants